Thursday, October 23, 2008

Wheels, wheels, wheels

I'm barely treading water with wheelbuild orders these days.  My backlog has been hovering at twenty wheels for some time now, and building all those wheels while taking care of local customers' various needs is difficult.  I've started to tell prospective customers that the backlog is 6-9 business days. Previously I was able to turn orders around within a week, but that isn't realistic right now.  I hope the orders will keep coming in with the longer wait time, and I guess if they don't the wait will drop back down, but I can't keep up the schedule I've been on for the last few weeks.  Of course, I'm very grateful to have this "problem" and am mindful that there are many people who are struggling to find work.  

3 comments:

David said...

Sounds like you need to teach a wheelbuilding class, and maybe hire a trainee to do lacing piecerate. Just a thought--I worked in a shop when I was in HS, and I would have love for someone to have shown me how to build a wheel. Instead, I was stocking tires, and gloves, and helmets, and waterbottles. Borrrring.

PS: Thanks for the fork. Its lovely, but I have to get it painted/powdered, and then decide which bike to put it on...

Anonymous said...

yeah lot's of ebay wheel builders that don't charge labor and can build a track wheelset with deep v's have that problem. I mean really 245 dollars a wheelset you are making about 60 to 70 dollars a set if you don't count labor and your charging cost basically.

Longleaf Bicycles said...

The tough guys are always Anonymous. You haven't the foggiest notion of the wheelbuilding side of my business. I build many different types of wheels. The wheels you mention are my lowest priced because I buy those particular hubs and spokes in very large quantities and get a very good price. Track wheels are the only ones for which I don't charge labor. I do so for various reasons and also because they're very easy to build for an experienced wheelbuilder. I'm happy to build you a set so you could check the quality and determine if I'm selling them on price. I'll add $60 to the price just for you.